This is one of my favorite weeknight meals to make, it’s quick and easy and it’s healthy. Couscous is a very versatile ingredient and pairs well with almost anything, and while not gluten free, it is a healthier alternative to traditional pastas. Also, iif you want to make this a full meal, feel free to add either sliced baked chicken or shredded store bought rotisserie chicken.
1.5 cups couscous
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter
1 cup assorted crunchy greens; brussel sprouts, kale, cabbage *
1 avocado; peeled, pitted, and diced
1 cup English cucumber, chopped
½ cup bell pepper cup, chopped (red and yellow works best for this)
2 tablespoons yellow onion, chopped
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
¼ cup sesame oil
2 lemons, juice and zest
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
*I am partial to Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch Collection, it’s pre-washed and already cut into thin slivers.
- Bring the chicken stock and garlic to a boil in a saucepan. Add the butter, stir constantly as it dissolves, then remove from heat.
- Add the couscous and mix thoroughly. Cover the pot and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous using two forks, and then add the bell peppers, onions, cucumber, greens, avocado, and feta cheese. Toss lightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk sesame oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, sea salt, and black pepper together until the oil emulsifies.
- Add the dressing to the salad and mix thoroughly.